CV help

Somewhere for the general public to chat

CV help

Postby evil little stu » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:59 am

So thought i would ask you guys for a little bit of help i have had this cv for a while but thought it would be a good idea to see if you guys had any ideas how i could make it look better and improve on it as i am really bad with this kinda stuff same goes for making a cover letter that i did have but lost so need to write a new one.

CV https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5g1atkjkiys1 ... .docx?dl=0
evil little stu

Re: CV help

Postby Juneau » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:35 pm

First thoughts:

Spellcheck! Experience not Experance!!!

Might be worth re-doing that section in itself, it reads weirdly.

Under key skills self-motivated is a different font size to the rest of the list and needs to be capitalised.

Just put references available on request, don't list them afterwards.

Hope this helps!
Juneau

Postby evil little stu » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks jub i will make those changes :D
evil little stu

Postby CaptCavemaan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:25 pm

I would re-write the first paragraph to be more brief and focus on what you're best at, it's tempting to try and tick all the boxes saying you can do everything but it can read more like a list so only mention your best skills, expand on the others later.
Also go into more detail on your experience, this is where employers are going to look for examples of what you can do so do something like this:

Work Experience
2013-2014 Owner of <Name of Stall/Business here>
Explain what the business sold/to who and how you ran it (online, through an actual stall etc), if it was successful add some sales figures.
Then go on to say something like it has given you experience of managing and running a business including cash management, forecasting, customer relations and advertising. Whatever you mention here will most likely be the things an employer will question you on so you don't need to go into too much detail but have some examples ready for the interview.

Cut down on the key skills too, most of those are things an employer would expect as a given so I would cut it down to:
Fast Learner
Friendly
Team Worker
Good Communication Skills

but on top of those list skills you've learned from your course, like any programming languages, computer networking, Microsoft office etc, most employers probably won't know what you've learned in Edexcel Btec Level 3 Subsidiary DIP so it's best to mention them.
CaptCavemaan

Postby evil little stu » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks capt :D all the advice is most welcomed and will defiantly be acted upon thank you :)
evil little stu

Postby Roiku » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Pretty much what Caveman and Jub said, if you wish to have another example have a look here (it is outdated and there is a mistake there, bonus if you can spot it)

http://doc.gold.ac.uk/~ma202ea/

Try not to have any spelling mistake as they strike a really bad impression and try to keep it short and concise. Remember recruiters have to go through a [Bad Word Here] ton of CVs and letters and they don't have all the time in the world.

Make yourself look as interesting as possible with the least effort for them.
Roiku

Postby evil little stu » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:00 pm

thanks roi i will take a look through that :D
evil little stu

Postby Kgb » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:01 pm

Another thing to note is while you can write a lot, most people recommend no more than 2 pages.
Kgb
Site Admin

Postby DeamonEngineer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:00 am

A good idea is to add a small passport sized photo of you in with your details as it helps add a face to the page not just a dull white page with black text on it.

i'd adjust the address to: <street> , <area> , <county>

and maybe retype the second paragraph:
EXPERIENCE
Whilst attending Yeovil College, our class was tasked with setting up and running a stall, this required good communication and team work with deciding what to sell and selecting the best location. this experience also provided me with money handling, people interaction skills and teamwork while operating the stall.

possibly look to add dates attained on the qualifications as it shows constant improvement and up to date skills
ImageImage
DeamonEngineer

Postby brokeTM » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:09 am

Pro tip:

Well not so pro, cus I tend to stick to a job.

But anyway..., adding to what Jubs & Caveman already said.

Tweak your CV for the job you apply for, if you're not applying for a job that has something to do with fish, or boats or the sea. Don't state you like fishing. Only talk about hobbies that are relevant to the job.

The same goes for experience, and education. Offcourse that depends on how much of it you have, no point in listing primary school if you went to uni for instance, or that you worked in a Tesco when you're applying for job that has nothing to do with customers, and you do have relevant experience.

In short, you want them to pick up your CV and immediately see that you're a good fit on paper. All irrelevant info could be a turn-off for the recruiter, The more relevant the experience/hobby is, the greater detail you'd go in.

I for instance, have had interviews go through based on my elaboration on projects I worked on, it illustrated to the recruiter that I have worked at a certain level. That helps to back your experience-claims.
I'm a peacock, you have to let me fly!
Blog: Run With The Torch
brokeTM

Return to Chat